Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Re: [tabtrailers] Repair plastic propane cover

 

JoAnn, the cracking is primarily caused by the method of attaching the plastic so ridgidly to the tongue, first because each hole is not predrilled to a diameter slightly larger than the screw, and the screws are so tight they do not allow for temperature expansion and contraction. A single crack can be prevented from spreading further by drilling a small hole at the end of each crack. I have had success in putting down foam strips below the flanges, drilling the mounting holes larger and using washers with a rubber surface on one side then remounting the cover. I added a small aluminum angle bar at the rear of the top to prevent further cracking from the back due to flexing. I drilled holes and used stainless steel machine screws and washers, and used nylock nuts to tighten just to the point of light snugness.
 
A lot of members have replaced the entire cover with aluminum tongue boxes.
 
I'm sure others will chip in with their fixes.
 
Jerry J
 
----- Original Message -----
From: JoAnn
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:18 PM
Subject: [tabtrailers] Repair plastic propane cover

 

First & foremost let me say this is an amazing informative friendly group. I've enjoyed all the great stories, visuals and insights to owning a T@b. I'm hoping that someone has tackled the problem of the plastic cover cracking where it attaches to the tongue.

I'm getting ready to take "Les Tab" out for the first time this year and noticed all the cracks around the bolted areas. Has anyone reinforced those areas? If so with what? Will fiberglas work? I've seen what's been posted showing the Delta Pro box. I'd like to fix the plastic if possible but if folks feel this is a waste of time because it will just crack again I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any help thoughts on this. I hope to get to a rally sometime. BRR looks like it been a great time!

JoAnn, April, Jasper & Les Tab

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment